Skip to main content

Institut Teknologi Bandung

ITBx

"The history of higher technical education in Indonesia dates back to the 20th century, when the Dutch colonial government established de Techniche Hoogeschool te Bandung (TH) on July 3, 1920 on a 30-hectare plot of land in Bandung. At that time there was only one faculty, de Faculteit van Technische Wetenschap and only one department, de afdeeling der We gen Waterbouw. The establishment of this college was intended to meet the increasingly limited need for engineering personnel during the Dutch colonial period due to the outbreak of the First World War. Since its official opening for the 1920-1921 academic year, 28 TH students were enrolled with only 2 Indonesians. Meanwhile, the number of lecturers at the beginning of 1922 was 12 professors. Four years later, on July 4, 1924, the first 12 engineers were released from TH. The status of TH from the time of opening until 1924 was bijzondere school which later changed its status from private to government agency. On the 6th Anniversary on July 3, 1926, out of 22 candidates for engineers who graduated, there were 19 people with 4 of them being natives. That was the first time TH Bandung produced Indonesian engineers. One of the four people was Ir. R Soekarno who would later become the proclaimer and first president of the Republic of Indonesia."
© 2024 ICE Institute. All rights reserved.